Of the real Ginseng (Panax) there are 2 varieties that are mainly used for salutary purposes. The North American Ginseng is called Panax Quinquefolium (also called American ginseng) and the Asian Ginseng is called Panax CA Meyer (also called Panax Ginseng and Korean Ginseng).
Typically for all the ginseng species of the genus Panax are the presence of the so called ginsenosides; also the active components of American ginseng.
IntroductionAmerican Ginseng is a salutary plant, from which the root is harvested after a long and costly growing period of 4 to 6 years. Especially the dried ginseng root has been appreciated and used for thousands of years by the Indians in North America and for centuries in China to bring the body and mind back into the natural balance. American Ginsengs properties are both for conservation of health and in recovery periods.
|Photo: mature ginseng berries containing the ginseng seeds.|
|Photo: Fresh American ginseng roots, regarding their shape like a human body also called man root.|
ApplicationOf the American ginseng plant mainly the dry roots are used for salutary purposes.
In China also the dried leaves and the flower buds are consumed occasionally as a tea.
American Ginseng is mainly used internally as a food supplement and as a functional ingredient in food and (energy) drinks.
Increasingly the extract is added to cosmetic products to support the regenerative capacity of the skin and for maintain healthy cells and tissues.
Beneficial for:A typical feature of the so-called American Ginseng has adaptogenic effect; the self-adjust to each circumstance.
American Ginseng is mainly used to bring the body and mind in balance and / or maintain. American Ginseng therefore works well for maintaining health and in recovery periods.
According to the Dutch Guidelines KOAG / KAG allowable terms, related to this product, are:
- Support for stress and tension.
- Gives more energy and increases endurance.
- Stimulates the immune system and promotes the (natural) immune system of the body cells.
- Blood purifying and improves blood circulation.
- Good for heart and blood vessels.
- Beneficial effect on human health, strengthens the vitality.
- Aphrodisiac and libido-generator.
- Promotes a normal regular menstruation.
- Helps menopausal symptoms.
So far, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has not approved any of the submitted health claims for this product or its components, and these should therefore not be used in the EU.
Industrial applicationsThe various components in American Ginseng function as a strong antioxidant. These properties can be applied among others for the replacement of sulphite in the wine production and for preventing the colouring of prepared meat products.
DosageAs an optimal daily dosage for an adult 1-2 grams of the dried root is recommended. As a high dosage sometimes 4-5 grams per day is recommended. For a dosage of more than 10 grams per day it is recommended to do so only under supervision of an expert.
Of American Ginseng extracts and/or extracts powders with an 8% ginsenoside content a daily dosage of 400-800 mg is recommended. Of extract powders with a 20% ginsenoside content 150-300 mg isrecommended as an optimal dosage.
As optimal dosage of products for external use it is recommended to add 6-9% concentrated American ginseng extract powder with 20% ginsenoside content.
For a cosmetic effect it is recommended to apply a minimum of 4-8 gram of American Ginseng extract powder (20% ginsenoside content) per kilo product.
- American Ginseng is generally regarded as safe. It is not poisonous and as far as known does not have irreversible harmful side effects;
- For an operation it is advised to inform your anaesthetist that American Ginseng is used;
- Do not use without supervision of an expert when blood thinners are used;
- Do not use the American Ginseng when one has a (too) low blood pressure;
- A strong overdose taken during a long period of time can lead to the so called Ginseng Abuse Syndrome. The symptoms are: sleeplessness, high blood pressure, light depression, tension in the muscles and puffiness (retaining too much fluid in your body).
This document is for professionals only. It is the responsibility of the user to refer to the laws in force in the country of sale and determine the relevance of the products for the intended use. This ingredient is not intended to treat, cure or prevent any disease. The allegations have not all been evaluated by EFSA, they are not intended to be labelled on a commodity to the consumer.
More information / news
Copyright © 2011 Benseng Foodsupplements BV, Veghel, The Netherlands. See: www.benseng.nl